The Rhino Trekking has become one of the most popular activities at Grootberg Lodge. The activity provides guests with the unique experience to observe Rhinos in their natural habitat, on foot.
The Rhino Trekking Activity has in fact become so popular that the Rhinos are showing signs of stress. There is a real concern that if we don’t implement immediate restrictions to the number of people participating in this activity, the Rhinos will move out of the area of their own accord. This in turn severely increases the risk of poaching in other areas not under Journeys Namibia management. It is important that this activity be managed to ensure that it is both natural and non-obtrusive for the animals, where they are unaware of the human presence.
We have been forced to take measures to restrict the number of guests participating in this activity.
With effect from 1 March 2016 we will be implementing the following:
• Only one Rhino Trekking group per day, restricted to a maximum of 10 guests
• Children under the age of 16 will not be allowed to participate due to safety reasons
• Guests from the Hoada Campsite will no longer be able to book the activity directly with the lodge
• Preference will be given to pre-booked lodge guests
• No commission will be allowed on this activity
It is important for us that we value and manage this endangered species so that future generations will have the same privilege of experiencing this magnificent animal in its natural habitat.
We have enjoyed a wonderful peak season and thank you for your continued support.
The JN Management Company